View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 10:06   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

All sound choices, 'Harvey1512', but I suspect that as 'fifthwheel' has posted in this forum that he is leaning towards a Volvo. He also states that he doesn't want to be welding a 'rotbox', which to me suggests older rather than younger, and possibly a more limited budget.

In this vein, I agree with you regarding the V70. The only welding that my own 2000 V70, which I have owned for three years, has ever required was a minimal amount on the rear exhaust hanger for it's first MOT in my ownership.

Prior to that, I had a 1987 745 which I bought in 1998 and ran for 18 years. During that time, it did not require any welding, until it failed it's 2016 MOT on corroded inner wings, which would have cost c£500 to have repaired professionally.

Based on that experience, if 'fifthwheel' prefers RWD, I would recommend that he looks for a late (1997/8) 945. In the event that he prefers FWD, then an early (1998/9) V70 would be my choice. I only paid £550 for mine, so depreciation can be minimal if one buys wisely. On a practical note, the 9 series estates are marginally more commodious than V70s.

I trust that I have interpreted 'fifthwheel's requirements correctly, but your reply offers him more choice if perchance he is looking beyond Volvo to make his purchase.

Regards, John.