View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 08:12   #69
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
This is the most current forum that I post on. I am continually amazed that with modern 'state of the art' technology, construction methods and procedures that there is such a wide variety of problems not shared by all of the same units. I would have thought that if one model specific year had an issue then all all would. I have had no problems (EGR fix excepted) in over 100k why is that? One would expect that with computer designed robot built hardware and with such fine and identical tolerances we would all suffer the same issues but that doesn't seem to be the case.
You're spot on! A properly applied and tightly-specified quality system results in the exact same product being pumped out time after time. So odd that we have inconsistent experiences... What I've noticed on forum posts is that early VEA engines appear to have a tendency to need oil top-ups, while later ones have a problem with the oil level rising and needing to be drained.

Although I have wondered if those of us who do need to regularly add oil actually have a far worse problem than we realise, because it's being partially masked by the accumulation of fuel in the sump?