Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 09:56   #226
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Royal Barge does seem to warm up a bit slowly. I’ve just driven the short way in to the Wetherspoons for breakfast (about 2 miles) and it still needed the fast idle at the end, the temperature gauge had not budged.
It should warm up much faster than that. I judge mine by the landmarks I pass on the route into the nearest village.

1/2 mile, gauge registering about a quarter.
2 miles, gauge registering half. In the next few hundred yards it then rises a further 1/8, but drops rapidly back to half as the thermostat opens.
The gauge is very sensitive - it dips briefly when I slide the heater control ON as a new slug of cold water circulates, but by 2 miles the gauge registers a rock steady half and the heater will blow hot air.

I've had all the fan options on 240s over the years - fixed fan, viscous coupling, and electric, and concluded the viscous coupling works the best.
The whooshing noise you either love or hate - I used to hate it but have come to like it as part of that authentic 240 sound. Mine works extremely effectively, and together with a clean radiator, good thermostat, and 2-yearly flush and coolant change the temperature stays solidly on the half-way mark regardless of air temperature.

An electric fan is not maintenance-free, as you need to be constantly aware that it is still working. After a scare once when the temperature climbed alarmingly because a wire had corroded at the motor, and another because leaves had stopped the fan, I removed it and refitted the viscous coupling.
Part of this arises because an electric fan cuts in so rarely, but when it does you really need it to work.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: