View Single Post
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:02   #28
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Hi Tannaton,
I have mine booked in to a garage to do the bearing but I'm not phased by doing this myself.

Provided that the driveshaft spline is not seized in the hub ( checked mine and isn't , its as free as a bird ) have you ever experienced any difficulty in getting the hub off once the bolts are out?

A further question, ideally I was going to fit an SKF bearing but ECP only do SKF as fronts , the more expensive rear is listed as SNR.

Any one had any dealings good or bad with this make of bearing?

I'm half tempted to just do it myself seeing as I've done everything else on it so far and the weather is supposed to be decent.

Thanks in advance
I would have a go yourself, it's not too tricky and if you get stuck you should be able to re-assamble and drive the car.

I would suggest be ready to overhaul the parking brake at the same time unless you know that's working okay.

I would experiment with different sockets and wobble bars on each of the 4 nuts, 2 are easy, one is tricky and one is very tricky but I have managed to do a good few of these using a low profile (ish) 3/8" impact (hex) socket and good quality extensions that can carry some torque. I usually spray the exposed threads on the front of the hub with plusgas or similar.

Once you get the bolts out, I've never had a bearing I couldn't get out of the hub but I have had to give a couple of them a good braying with a club hammer. This is where you do need to proceed carefully as the only place to hit it is the hub flange and you will damage it/distort it meaning the brake disc cannot be re-fitted.

I did have one stubborn one which I got off by reattaching the brake disc and the spacesaver spare wheen and then hitting the wheel with a club hammer (with a lenght of 6x2 in between). Much more leverage, came lose straight away.

With regards to bearings, as I've said before avoid cheap ebay especially from shyster seller BAHUHA - I've only ever used Volvo original or SKF from Autodoc. I can't comment on SNR but someone else posted recently they bought a cheaper bearing from ECP and it lasted only a few months. Now I would rather fit a second hand genuine Volvo one that a cheap chinky job.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 18th, 2019 at 12:04.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: