Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 11:52   #608
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

PS I had the same thing on my last 745, when the heat-exchanger failed internally allowing cross-contamination of the coolant and ATF. That obviously meant a replacement rad and also involved considerable remedial work as well. To be avoided if possible, but if yours is a manual you do not need to worry about it!

John.
If not found in time, it can also destroy the auto-box John so if you escaped that, you were lucky!
I've taken a precautionary measure on my Rover against that, when i had to replace the radiator, i bought a separate ATF cooler and a manual radiator. The ATF cooler is mounted in front of the A/C condensor and the manual rad sits in place of the original auto rad, no problem.
Also the manual rad was available and half the price of the (NLA) auto rad! Even with buying the ATF cooler, it still worked out cheaper than buying the exact replacement - even if it had been available!

Sometime in the near future, i intend doing similar with the 760 as that is going to need a new rad soon. Just a case of dinging the correct radiator!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote