View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 09:19   #14
tdz840
VOC Member

Default Cold Air Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1800Ray View Post
Does drawing the cooler air via the grill outlet make a noticeable performance difference rather than drawing from the usual air filters on the carbs?
It does make a lot of difference drawing the air from the front of the grill area. it also has a Ram Air Effect if the plenum is made correctly.
I fitted an early Volvo Competition kit to my 67 1800. It was said this couldn't be done with a RHD car.
It is tight and there was no way i could fit the proper intake filter that came with my kit. However, that volvo filter also took its air supply from the engine bay. I ran for some years with Foam filters but spit backs from the carbs ate a few.
I took the decision to make a plenum with a cold air draw with a cone filter in the nose cone.
I had to do some massaging with the mould buck and it had to be produced in 3 haves ghen joined on completion. A lot of work.
Induction noise is kept to a manageable level, in summer the temps inside the plenum compared to the engine bay are around a 20-25degree difference.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qouounb7m8...%2049.jpg?dl=0
Russ

Last edited by tdz840; Apr 11th, 2020 at 09:21.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post: