View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 00:34   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Paul;

Brasso is a polish and therefore abrasive (if only mildly)...this means it removes material (if only minutely) which results in changing the precision clearance between Dashpot and Dometubes, and this is to be avoided...I recommend against abrasive of any kind...I do recommend cleaning and flushing (especially the Dashpot and Dome tubes) with a hydro-carbon solvent (spirits, carb-cleaner, etc.), wiping absolutely clean, and lubing pre-installation with ATF.

Colortune used to check and set mixture at idle is fine, but so are the Dashpot lifting pins already present on the carbs...but this is again just for idle...ideally, mixture (and exhaust emissions) want to be checked and adjusted for good tractability throughout the entire load range, where the carbs spend the most of their operating time, so a dyne or rolling road dyne should really be used for this.

Regarding balancing...I feel the Dashpots of an SU themselves are the perfect indicator of ingested air (because rising up directly proportional to the intake air is in-fact their one and only function!)...so I also feel that little else in the way of test equipment is necessary or required once the Dashpots have passed the 5-7 Sec drop test and are reinstalled...I adjust linkages and idle Adjust screw so the Dashpots show a similar (but not necessarily absolutely identical!) amount of rise at idle, and I'm happy with it and don't make myself unnecessarily crazy about it...

I have no explanation or comments about the different action of carbs from single to multiple drivers, but do find this rather strange...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote