View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 13:06   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

"Brasso is a polish and therefore abrasive (if only mildly)...this means it removes material (if only minutely) which results in changing the precision clearance between Dashpot and Dometubes, and this is to be avoided...I recommend against abrasive of any kind...I do recommend cleaning and flushing (especially the Dashpot and Dome tubes) with a hydro-carbon solvent (spirits, carb-cleaner, etc.), wiping absolutely clean, and lubing pre-installation with ATF."

100% agree with this. Domes and pistons are precision matched, On a pair they do get swapped now and again in error and this should be avoided. The close match allows the piston to be raised by vacuum and ANY increase the gap will reduce this ability. The grooves in the piston improve this seal. An attribute first shown in the design of Minié (inventor) ball bullets back in the US civil war era which had 2 or three grooves around the base to reduce the blow by when the charge was detonated. I'm sure you wanted to know that.......... lol
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote