View Single Post
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 21:26   #9
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
I would take the car for a longish run before parking the car so that the battery is charged.
It had a fairly long run before parking up so should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
Pop across to ebay. Loads of solar chargers on there for a reasonable price.

When I had a slightly 'tired' battery, and was only doing short journeys with cold starts, I bought one. (Item... Visua-4-Watt-12V-Solar-Panel-Trickle-Car-Battery-Charger). Used to pop it on the dashboard and run the wires direct to the battery with croc clips (the cigarette lighter socket on my V70 was ignition controlled - so no good for charging through!)

I did this every day for about six months!

Never had a problem for ages until the battery really had had enough of life! Though, for safety's sake, I did put an in-line fuse into the cable!

No good if the car's kept in a garage, though!

Then, one day, I actually afforded a new battery!
No time unfortunately, the S40 is also ignition controlled, car is now parked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The maths prove that a correct standby drain on a healthy battery simply cannot cause a problem in a month so if you can answer yes to both, there's no reason to worry.
If it is flat when you return, you know you have a problem which needs addressing.
Checking the level of the standby drain and condition of the the battery is very simple though so personally, I'd be finding that out before any issue occurs.
KwikFit had checked the battery and apparently it's fine, so I suspected the black box was draining power faster than would be natural.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote