View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 17:02   #127
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Not connected how that article describes, no but if you have a spare battery, you can connect the charger to the battery as normal then connect the battery +ve to the sacrificial anode (piece of scrap steel) and the battery -ve to the workpiece, that would work. That way the battery would be supplying the power to electrolysise the water in the tub with the work piece and the charger would simply be topping up the battery.

Alternatively it might be an idea to invest in an "old skool" battery charger, although the CTEK units are good, they won't deal with a completely flat battery so if you ever leave your lights on or similar, you're snookered.

Alternatively if you have a 12V power supply (not a switched mode type) you could potentially use that as well.

A secondhand charger might be an alternative as well :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6amp-Batt...v/202660267735

Some people have even used DC arc welders to provide the power when de-rusting something big - how big i dread to think as my 10A charger has coped with most stuff i've done!
My father in Law has a big old skool charger Dave so I will borrow that ( for ever )and give it a go. I also have plenty plastic tubs to try it in
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: