View Single Post
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 14:42   #14
340man

Volvosaurus passed the MOT again the other day. Tester said that it's in good order.

He made no comment about my order! I've been going to the same MOT place for many years, both the tester and I have aged a bit!

So today, thought it deserves a treat, cleaned front seats with Lidl W5 Cleaning Foam, they came up quite nice, drying off now.

Took distributor cap off, no trace of condensation there, slight staining of inside of cap, so wiped it out, sprayed with WD40 and wiped out again.

I did notice that the carbon brush was fairly worn, but OK, I compared it with the brush in a new cap.

Started the engine, to my surprise, the tickover was smoother. I don't notice any difference in the rev counter.

Bonus, that slight bearing rattle that many 340's give at tickover, has reduced to almost non existent. I've never taken engine/ transmission apart on a 340, so not familiar with this bearing. Can someone explain about this bearing please?

I'm pretty good on mechanics, in fact I used to work for Janspeed in the early 70's. Rebuilt many engines / gearboxes, mainly BMC A series Mini, including the BMC Mini auto box.

Last edited by 340man; Aug 22nd, 2018 at 14:44.
340man is offline   Reply With Quote