View Single Post
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 19:09   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Whilst reluctant to get involved in this spat, which I can see both sides of, it’s worth noting that front fog lamps aren’t currently checked in the UK MOT. They will be (if present - they are not a legal requirement) on cars first used after 1st March 2018 when they become due for an MOT from 2021. This will not apply to our cars which are all likely pre-1999.

I always try to resist the temptation deliberately to dazzle drivers who appear to fail to dip their lights. Modern headlights tend to dazzle me anyway and you cannot always tell if they are on main or dipped beam.

However, if an approaching driver deliberately flashes because they believe you to have neglected to dip your lights it does not seem unreasonable to me to pull the headlight stalk in response to their gentle reminder to do this. If this results in several million candle power of main beam and driving lamps shining back at them then so be it. Their “bad” I’d say. You have merely performed the logical and polite response to their own deliberate gesture.
Errr, what spat?

Just someone trying to while away the hours by goading people into a response that could be construed as aggressive, abusive or similar - i've simply stated the facts with added emphasis (underlining/bold type) to try and get the misunderstood message of what i was saying.

However you've obviously understood everything i said without the need for it so i was presumably fairly clear in my woding the first time.

Anyway, that aside, just to add an extra bit of clarification as you reminded me, fog lights and driving lamps aren't routinely tested on older cars, except for function. "If fitted they must work" is usually the response i've had when i've asked about front fog lamps.

The MoT tester i've used for the past 15 years has rarely put the front fogs or driving lamps on the beam setter unless he thinks they may be out of alignment. I've never had that happen on any of my cars and not had a failure for headlamp misalignment either.
I also invested in a headlight beam setter (ex MoT station) some years back so i can definitely check, to MoT standard, that my headlights, driving lights and front fog lights are all performing within the prescribed limits.

The Constructions & Use Regulations (aka Destruction & Abuse Regs) are an absolute minefield and also contain a few contradictory things (to a point) so you have to basically read them re-read and then try and work out what you can and can't do.
For example, i've added DLRs (Daytime Running Lights) to my non-Volvo and make use of the original indicator housing with a two-colour LED bulb and removing the original internal orange diffuser. Nothing in the law or MoT egs that say this can't/shouldn't be done.
Likewise on the rear, i have used similar LED bulbs so the indicators also serve duty as additional reversing lamps - again, nothing to say it can't be done and said vehicle has passed 2 MoTs like it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote