View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 09:56   #1
ANDTWENTY

Default Engine won't rev and hunts

I just picked myself up a 2.3 1990 940 GLE non-turbo in absolute pristine condition, it has 1 previous owner and he had a full service history from the main stealer (not that this means much as the air filter that was changed 14 miles ago looks worse than the one on my car from a year ago).

The issue is that the car will only idle. I have seen some other posts about this but nothing conclusive. the car starts fine and idles great but as soon as you put on any accelerator the car will hunt and surge but will not rev up enough to drive. I feel it could be either the throttle position sensor or the maf sensor but after seeing the price id like to avoid that if I can. I tested the tps and it goes from 0v to 3.72v and thats it, it doesn't gradually go up and down so I believe this is bad, although the alternator has gone too so there is only 9.5v in the car so ill check it later with a charged battery.

The maf sensor is a 5 wire so I haven't checked this yet, any info in which cables to check would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anything else that it can be? someone said the idle air control valve which I will take out and clean as thats free. just trying to rule out the easy/free stuff before having to shell out on parts I don't need as I've been there before!

Thanks in advance for any help!!
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post: