View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 17:54   #26
volvocat

Default A few further thoughts on Polestar...

Hope this is of help/interest to someone.
Performance:
I've just had it fitted (installed?) to our ‘new’ 2012 XC70 D5 auto, which was 215, now 230bhp.
It hasn’t made quite as much difference as it did to the mid-range of our previous 2008 XC70 Sport D5 auto, which was 185, uprated to 205bhp.
Obviously the earlier car had the older design gearbox, which is known to be ‘lazy’ low down and this aspect was little improved, but the mid-range increase was much more noticeable - well worthwhile.
The gearbox in the 2012 has Sport mode, so its standard over-taking ability is pretty good.
But with Polestar it delivers similar shove without Sport - and if you use Sport as well, it really flies, both low down and mid-range - so again, well worthwhile!
Power delivery also seems much smoother - the engine seems to be working less hard while delivering better performance.
Compatibility:
In addition to warrranty and consumption/emissions, it’s also worth noting that it is fully compatible with main dealer servicing, especially routine software upgrades.
But, as I understand it, most after-market/3rd-party mods/chipping will be deleted by Volvo servicing, usually requiring re-installation afterwards.
Do that a few times and Polestar pricing looks comparitively good value, especially when on offer.
Insurance:
For the 2008 car, I was quoted a £75 hike in premium by Esure which, when I complained (at the time I had a 3-car deal with them), they reduced it to c.£40 which I could live with.
Just last week when enquiring about Polestar on the new car, they didn’t want to add anything! In fact, I’m paying about £10 less overall for the 2012 with Polestar than I was for the 2008 before adding it...!
However, Ins. Co’s can vary - a lot.
Whilst enquiring with Saga about cover for another car (for which Esure wanted an unreasonable increase at renewal), I asked if they (Saga) would also like to quote for the Volvo with Polestar. They said yes, but could not decide exactly what Polestar was, and eventually declined to quote at all - at any price - they even went to their underwriters but were met with a flat refusal to even consider/discuss it.
Now expecting someone to come forward with news of a great quote for their Polestar Volvo from Saga...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post: