View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 11:51   #21
optimistic

Safety depends on good driving, not speed limits but we should recognise a moral obligation to obey the law. Certainly speeding can be irresponsible but everyone should drive within their abilities. A blanket speed limit inhibits driver reactions which can itself be dangerous in some situations. It can also entice inexperienced drivers or reckless drivers to drive at legal speeds in unsafe conditions.

Sometimes you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation, particularly on motorways and sometimes conditions are unsafe below the speed limit (i.e. 70mph in thick fog or on ice). Also some drivers are dangerous at low speeds. Tailgating on the motorways is far more dangerous than a competent driver safely exceeding the speed limit in safe conditions in order to avoid a dangerous situation. Does anyone really claim never to have broken the 20mph limit in town? It's rare to see anyone obeying that and anyone who does gets mercilessly intimidated by other traffic.

My MY2019 XC90 (my first Volvo and great) has speed camera warnings with sound but it misses so many that it is pretty much useless (unless I have somehow missed an update). I have used PocketGPSWorld camera alerts previously but haven't found a way to load them into the Sensus GPS. Has anyone managed it? I could use the mobile app but I don't like AndroidAuto and would prefer not to use the mobile screen while driving.
optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote