View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 16:12   #25
optimistic

simon,

I have set up the Sensus speed camera warnings but they pick up so few as to be useless. I've updated the maps and searched for a separate speed cam update without any luck. I've seen other posts about PocketGPSWorld on here and hope that someone finds a way. I'll keep trying but the PocketGPSworld website says that their database works only on systems that allow points of interest to be loaded by the user. Volvo don't seem to allow that now and I can understand why considering the security issues. It's one thing to get your 'phone hacked but quite another to get your car hacked while you are driving up the motorway (at a legal speed of course).

MaDProff,
Yes, we'll all be driving like robots soon so won't need the autonomous cars that are in the pipeline. I anticipate a day when I see a red light crashing cyclist, head down, racing towards me from the side when I'm driving at 19 mph, too late for me to avoid him by braking and unable to accelerate away to save him because of the speed limit. I've actually seen that situation in London when a shirtless maniac on a bike shot through a red light at crossroads waving his arm and screaming obscenities. He seemed to be more than a little inebriated so perhaps his brain couldn't tell his legs to stop pedalling in time.

PS It's so irritating to be (more or less) observing the speed limit in a 20mph zone only to be overtaken (or undertaken) by cyclists, particularly downhill when they are travelling at 40mph or more (see YouTube for plenty of examples of speeding downhill cyclists). And I wonder if those autonomous cars will be allowed to accelerate out of trouble when their Lidar detects a jack-knifing juggernaut crashing through the barrier towards them on the motorway? Or will the computer just give up and ring Volvo-on-Call?
optimistic is offline   Reply With Quote