View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:33   #8
Danhere

Wolf in sheep's clothing
The T5's, R's, AWD and diesels are always very tempting but as a second hand car they will all often cost more to maintain/repair. ( I'm sure some of them are fantastic to drive)
Don't get me wrong, if I had the spare cash I would love to keep a T5, diesel or an AWD model, even a well looked after 850 version.

I have been driving a 97 2.5 10 valve manual/no turbo V70 SE for a couple of years now and I am very impressed. Nippy around town and a pleasure to drive in for distances. Built with great thought and as far as I am concerned handles very well. Only down side is the MPG, if your gentle and measured it isn't as thirsty but if you want to have a modicum of fun and throw it around, it will happily drink petrol and eat front tires etc.....
That Audi 5 cylinder is awesome in this car.

If you do lots of mileage they are ideal cars for LPG.
There's a member on here based in Wales, who's reputation for good conversions is well documented.
If you bide your time, get a good example and are prepared to pay for some much needed overhaul, you shouldn't be disappointed. The best inside has to be the cream leather interior. Heated seats and electric chairs sound like fun as long as they work.
About 1K should get you something nice, some for less but more of a risk of complete or expensive overhaul needed or failure. Above 1k should be pretty nice but depends what model you go for and always be aware there are lemons and chancer's out there.
Of course I am generalizing. Some of them seem to be money pits while others just run and run.

Paid just under 1k for mine with 144k on the clock, some of it is pretty tired. Has had 10 other owners, a crash/repair and probably could do with some serious maintenance overhaul that would cost a small fortune. There can be some repairs with a hefty price!!.
It's essentially running well with some moderate maintenance costs.

The tweaks that were done to the first V70's make them a revised version of the 850's.
A pinnacle in Volvo car manufacturing history, I would suggest.
Before they got lost in technical/aesthetic details heading towards the phase 2(in my opinion). I am sure some of them are beautiful examples to drive but I am glad I bought the model I did. Much better than rudimentary and also responsive although not over-engineered. Be prepared to stump up more cash for maintenance/repairs, the more sophisticated you go.

Apart from the lovely engine and fair dynamics, the quality of the bodywork is superb. So pristine body work should be the norm, although mouldy wings are often acceptable as they are easily replaced. Scuffs, scratches, de-laminating, fading, external trim shrinkage and the odd dent normal.
The rear exhaust bracket rusts through but easy to fix. I am seeing slight tailgate under body corrosion for the tow bar but nothing serious.
I can't believe the great condition this is in for a 97 car, many of the parts original. A testament to the people who built it at the time.

AWD seems like a nice idea if its going to work perfectly.
Off the top of my head; heavier fuel consumption, can't be towed on two wheels has to be fully loaded onto a truck, more expense on tire/wheel configuration and wear, the drive shafts or something are a mother.

Last edited by Danhere; May 29th, 2012 at 06:26.
Danhere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danhere For This Useful Post: