View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 10:39   #1
tangey

Default Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Dec 2006, I bought a brand new S60 D5, my first ever Volvo and indeed my first Diesel.

Since then the Soot filter has been giving me problems. About 4-5 weeks after purchase I got "soot filter full- see manual", followed a few hrs later with "Engine System, service required" (or something like that) with the Engine going to about 1/2 power or less. Was told this was due to my driving style and that the soot filter need re-generating.

So religiously after that, as soon as I see the SOOT filter message I go for a 20-30 min run, and the message goes away.

Yesterday "soot filter full" came on the display, this is only around 3 weeks after the last full service. It wasn't suitable to go for a run, so went to do it today, but too late I'm back on 1/2 power with the "Engine system" message back on. Tried a 60 miles run, no good. 0-60 is around 25 seconds.

Phoned dealer, and have to book in for regeneration.

I have a couple of questions:-

1) I only do short runs, 6500Miles per year, I told the dealer this at time of purchase, and he could see that from my 3year old 20,000 trade-in. Shouldn't the dealer tell me Volvo diesel engine isn't suitable for me.

2) Having spoke to the service dept today, they have confirmed this is a "thing" with Volvo diesels. Are they really telling me that no modern Volvo deisel car is capable of constant short runs without having to keep going back to the dealer ? Or put another way their diesels exclude certain driving styles. Its not that I'm a slow driver, I love the power and torque of the Engine, its just that I only do a big run every 2-3 months

3) Is there no way I can re-generate this myself, once its went to the "engine system stage". My dealer is 70 miles away, its basically a full day off work.

Its went from being a mild annoyance to seriously considering taking a big hit on the price and getting something else.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post: