View Single Post
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 08:38   #7
BillDD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
I may be misreading this but I don't think you'd get a misfire issue on a diesel if it were burning oil? If severe, you stand the risk of diesel run-away.
I would think that the excessive oil consumption will be giving the blocked DPF issue, not the other way round?
If there are no visible oil leaks and the engine is using/losing oil, then it seems fairly clear that it must be passing the pistons or valve stem oil seals and being burnt, or possibly passing the turbo seals. Burnt oil will produce carbon and ash...the DPF will accumulate both.
Compression check?
This was the diagnosis for my V70 D5 185 that got to 276k miles before it started behaving as the OP’s S60. We concluded that the engine was worn and was burning oil that was passing the rings. The DPF was catching the smoke but was constantly regenerating until it was full of soot and going into limp mode.
The cause? :- Oil change intervals at 18,000 miles was not frequent enough to cope with the DPF regen loading and my discovery that the garage doing the servicing was using a C3 spec oil 😟 for the 120k miles it did in my hands. I’m sorry to say that the car was not worth repairing.
Bill