View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 10:22   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Sadly you are the 3rd person who had his car stolen from their GDI. Unfortunately, there is no cat for your car. For cars registered after 1st of January (or 1st of March 2001, not 100% sure, the catalytic converter MUST be R103 approved.

Quote:
From 2009 it became a legal requirement for all CATS made, sold and installed to have R103 Type Approval and affects all cars and light commercial vehicles up to 3500kg registered on or after 1st January 2001.

The only exclusions are vehicles not originally approved to EU emission standards e.g. grey imports subjected to Single Vehicle Approval.

Existing stocks of non R103 compliant CATs can be sold or fitted to vehicles registered on or before 31st December 2000
I tried to help fellow forum members and FB group members in the past, trying to get a replacement cat and it was a bit issue. Contacted a few sellers who had cats for the GDI, and THEY ALL asked for the year of registration of the car, because of the R103 approved regulations.

None of these cats had a hole for the temp sensor and I am not sure if it would be the end of the world if it was not fitted. My main concern with a straight pipe, or a cheap cat, would be with the lambda sensors(mostly the rear one) would be the readings they would give. The ECU uses those values to adjust the air fuel ratios, and the car may not run at perfect efficiency, with a straight pipe or a cheap cat. Not sure how noticeable it will be though

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote