View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 15:57   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy2 View Post
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as reviews go I don't think I could disagree more with pretty much all your 'flaws', seems strange you seem to have many hangs ups about it's size, dimensions, road presence and parking - I assume you test drove one to get a feel for how it drives/size etc?

I certainly feel like mine justifies its price tag of mid-30's and compared more than favourably to similar spec'ed cars from BMW (X3) and Audi (Q5) but worked out better for the Volvo with the proper auto-box which I wanted for its towing ability.

I can't help but think some of the flaws with the Sensus system might be unique to your car, I certainly could never complain about the volume or sound quality coming from mine with the Premium pack (have you played with the settings that others have recommend on here?), I think if I ever tried to put it past 3/4 volume the glass would shatter with all the vibration and deep bass (although did opt for the low-cost sub, maybe that was a wise choice). Never had any issues with it showing the wrong ipod track titles either, slow picking the correct one up sometimes but I've an old ipod - works perfectly and I rarely find myself using the radio (dab or analogue) because my whole library is with me and it sounds fantastic. I also am loving the quality of the voice activation, I've pretty much given up on manually entering destinations I find the voice control that intuitive and good.

My auto D5 is sat at 36mpg and I do like to push it now and again in sport mode and manual mode so I'm really please with that given the solid performance it gives, also not much point comparing the performance to another make of car which probably has more cyclinders and more CC's to work with, I find the D5 a solid balance between performance and economy, for the size and shape of the XC60.

I find the seats and leather on my R-Design extremely comfortable over long journeys and they certainly feel 'premium', in fact the whole car is very relaxing to drive upto and beyond legal limits and the suspension on the R-Design is firm for sure but one of the best damped setups I've driven on an SUV (I guess you're not comparing to an old X3... now they had a crashy ride!).

I guess it's all about expectations, previous car history etc. You've clearly got far too many niggles with the XC60 to enjoy it, personally I've very few (a touch of wind noise from the passenger front that I need to hunt down, but that's 80+ mph only and without laminated side windows).

No issues on my auto wipers, I love that I can manually flick wipe without resetting anything like you have to in most auto setups where you flick the stalk into a different position, mine continue in auto mode.
Hi Richy

Thank you for your input - it is great to hear and read other peoples opinions as they are all valid.

A pal of mine has a (not so nowadays) small supermini and he finds the accelerater pedal far to light and his knee catches and rubs on the door panel - To me though I see no problem and do not agree!! - We are all different I suppose.

Listed everything I could think of really to get everyones opinion.

Stereo is ok and settings been adjusted - just feel that whilst it is a reasonable stereo - it is not worth the extra cost.
(comparison experience Harmon Kardon ,Mark Levinson, Ford standard stereo,Bose ,aftermarket Kenwood,older Dynaudio,)

Re wipers..you press the button on the stalk and rain sense is on - although if you do a "flick wipe" up or down it switches it off on MY12.

Yes more a list than a review although just listed as came into ones head.

It does read rather drastically and some issues are but just minor although the comparison is from experience of a wide range of cars - some good some cheap some expensive!

It does seem pointless though to pay a few hundred quid for keyless keyfob - only to find global closing can only be operated using the key fob - when other vehicles with keless keyfob can close the windows with the door button.

Also on alternative makes of vehicle when one parks and switches the engine off the electronic handbrake applies automatically - instead on the Volvo you have to manually press the button - no major big deal - although the handbrake button is in a daft place.

Yes old X3 was rock hard ride - newer one is a lot better - especially with the optional fancy suspension pack.

Agree that leather seats are nice and comfy in XC though and vehicle is very comfy on motorway although rutted roads and potholes can be felt through the cabin more than one would expect - maybe this will soften up with mileage

Regards performance - Yes the performance is ok for a vehicle this weight and size - I think it is probably a matter that one gets used to it after a few miles and then expects more - so I agree it is pretty pointless for one to compare a diesel 2.4 with a supercharged 5 litre -

Same goes for the 360 - supreme performance - that is until you have used it a bit - then it seems slower after more use - then it seems too wide then too low...so on and so forth..lol
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote