View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 11:30   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I don't think that is the difference. I have a collection of about half a dozen starters all removed from manual cars, and they vary, some are fat, some slim.
My current 1991 SE has an orginal slim line, and I'm pretty sure the Torslanda did too. The older cars, from the 80s, had the thicker starters.
Often with automatics, a higher output starter was used than the petrol counterparts, hence the fatter starters as they would be ~1.4kW instead of ~1kW. There's no knowing on a used car if someone has changed the starters without checking the numbers and the original fitments for comparison, however if one car is auto and the other is manual, it would be a fair assumption (especially if the rating was on the starters and confirmed the fat one is higher power) the auto needs the fatter one.

However it doesn't always follow, especially with cars of that age as Bosch were developing starters that were slimmer and lighter but produced comparable power.

Won't know for sure until the OP reports the Bosch number on it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: