View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 23:55   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesDragons View Post

To add to my miseries, I started going through the sensors and found no resistance reading on the COOLANT TEMP sensor near the AAV (not sure is infinity or short - it just showed 1).

I Wonder if this might trigger overfueling....
It could well do as 142 described - try changing the range on your multimeter to make sure you're reading in the right range for the temperature the sensor is at :

At 68F/20C it's reading a little over 2200 Ohms according to the graph and gets higher as the temperature drops - not sure what ambient temperature you were testing in but most multimeters go in ranges of 200, 2k, 20k, 200k etc so a simple range change on your meter might show it's working for the temperature it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasesDragons View Post
Well explained! Yes, the behaviour is exactly as you describe for the OPEN CIRCUIT condition.

So I will stop intervening at this point until a new coolant sender is installed. I still cannot resolve why the sensor is about 4 times more expensive than other modern ones....

Rest assured that I will be back!

Regards
U
It's an old, niche sensor - not many cars had fuel injection back then, least of all electronic fuel injection. That means there was no commonality of parts to give the "economies of scale" and make the part cheaper by being mass produced.

However, looking at the temperature curve, it's not dissimilar to the later model CTS sensors - whether the thread sizes are different or not i couldn't say for sure. There might be a modern sensor with the right characteristics but finding it would be the hard part.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 23:56. Reason: Missng lettrs
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: