View Single Post
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 15:09   #38
142 Guy
Master Member

The air intake sensor corrects for the change in air density as the temperature of the air changes so sensor errors will have a similar effect (higher resistance = lower air temperature = need more fuel to mix with dense air). However, the air density correction is based upon the ideal gas law so the change in density is based upon the temperature in absolute degrees (Rankin or Kelvin) so temperature errors have a smaller effect (a sensor reading 10 C when it is actually 30 C only creates a 303/283 = 7% error). Coolant sensor errors have a much bigger effect.

While poking around the sensors, carefully examine the plugs and the wiring at the sensor end. On my B20E I had to replace about 20 cm of the wire at the sensor end because the insulation had hardened and was crumbling and falling off. If this causes the wires to short this can lead to erratic operation. I also had heat damage on the wiring to the injector plugs so I replaced that wiring at the same time. Even though it is partially blocked by the intake manifold, 50 years of exposure to the radiant heat from the exhaust manifold that sits on the same side of the engine below the injector wiring harness does the wiring no favor.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: