View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:09   #1
Henners29

Default two problems left

so since owning our 2009 d5 I've had a lot of the problems fixed. Leaking windscreen... oil leak from rear diff etc.

But there's 2 problems left.
firstly the drivers door mirror cable has snapped inside from regular folding. So it no longer folds, It had stopped on the in position so it's currently just pushed out past it's lock position. At high speed it does fold back in a bit in the wind.

Ive stripped it as much as possible whilst on the car, and can see the snapped cable, but it goes down inside the unit. I know I need to take the door card off to get to the plug to remove the mirror. But I was wondering if anyone on here has fixed this problem, and has any tips. Or if there's a how to, to stripping it down fully, to get to the wiring. Or even to get the door card off. As I haven't looked at this yet.
Our volvo has BLIS so there's cameras on the bottom of the mirrors, otherwise I'd probably be tempted just to buy a second had replacement.

Then secondly, the power steering goes funny. Especially when parking, it goes a bit lumping, and seems to not work, when turning in to parking spaces. It's really hard to turn sometimes.
Especially on full lock. Some times it doesn't happen, and its more so when it's been driving, not when you start and do a U-turn out of our parking space on our street.
Any thoughts on this one? common fault? Something I could fix? Possibly a new power steering pump?

Also driving back down the motorway last night... I was getting 35mpg....
Is this about normal for a d5? fuel consumption seems really crap. I'm hoping to get it re mapped.. the company's data says I should get about 10% more. which would help! It does have winter tires on the back... since we bought it. I've been meaning to get them changed.. would these effect it that much? It's also strange when they only put winter tires on the back when its AWD

Last edited by Henners29; Sep 17th, 2018 at 11:13.
Henners29 is offline   Reply With Quote