Thread: V70 Brakes: - Handbrake Woes!
View Single Post
Old Mar 10th, 2017, 21:12   #145
rickmethven
2010 V70 2.4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Eddie,

A couple of thoughts..(actually more than a couple!)

The handbrake on the P2 cars isn't it's best feature !, it's normal to find the car rolls back a few inches on a hill when you have applied it, it's the shoes moving until they reach a stop point, bit disconcerting !,

When you had the discs off, if you replaced the hbrake shoes i recall the mechanism can be put back a couple of ways.. did you find the disc/drum went back on easily or were the shoes tight?..

Another thing thats worth doing is to apply the handbrake when your going at walking speed, will help get rid of any surface rust on the drum inner (as the inner drum 'brake' never gets any use as it would if they were like old style drum brakes)

3rd idea.. are the rear discs new?, if you didn't replace perhaps there is an outer ridge at the disc edge that's not letting the disc pads settle in?,

4th idea.. What brand of disc pads did you replace with?, not all pads are alike and volvo OEM ones often have a Teflon like material bonded to the rear (I guess for noise reduction), have Def had problems with brakes squeaking with non OEM pads.

Anyway that's my 2 penneths ., hope it's of some help !
Ok, had my v70 for a wee while now, all new discs and pads, now both handbrake cables replaced and new handbrake shoes...car still doesn't hold well on teh handbrake though. OK if facing backwards...2" roll and grips...not so clever if facing forward though. Will just keep rolling. Any suggestions??
rickmethven is offline   Reply With Quote