Thread: General: - engine coolant level
View Single Post
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 14:28   #1
john langrick
Master Member

Default engine coolant level

Hi, a quick question re coolant level.

I had a bit of a fright when son borrowed my xc90 my2003 d5 driving about 40 miles.

I did have coolant level issues about 6 months and 3000/miles ago diagnosed to the radiator which was replaced and since then, no issues.

Son returned car saying that the 'coolant low' message displayed a couple of miles from home. I looked at this the following morning and the resevoir was empty and on ignition, red warning and stop engine message displayed.

I refilled to the mark and all appears well. But now very wary. Car in at the indi tomorrow for pressure testing.

I do notice that once the engine warmed and driven a few miles, the level drops about 3cm.

When cold, usually the next morning, releasing the resevoir cap, there is a release of air pressure and the level returns to normal.

I understand that there remains pressure in the system even when cold, but is this normal?

I have had lots of cars in the past and to be honest never had coolant issues so not sure if this is normal operation.

I just wonder if the large radiator pipes have become flexible with age and thy are now expanding under pressure and may need changing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote