View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 18:46   #1
morwenna240

Default How to fix your 140 series clock!

Back in October, i asked if anyone knew who could repair my 145 clock, it being doornail dead. No reply. i decided to have a look inside, here's result: on back of clock are three little nuts holding cover on, one is a locknut, same idea as them on alloy wheels, here it's a bit of plastic, snap it off with pliers. The little nuts have lock-fluid on, it may be that one stud will sheer, no matter.
Having got cover off, u'll see that the movement is a standard clock movement, spring activated. The spring only runs for about 30 seconds, then it is instantly rewound by a little solenoid, when contacts, like those for your ignition, close, as spring winds down. Now, the solenoid has a thermo fuse, made of clay-ey type substance. Over time, i guess, this shatters so interrupting current flow; clock stops. I cleaned off old solder, careful, the soldered contacts are delicate, one seems to be sprung, and inserted a bit of bacofoil, et voila, clock ran as should!
On cover is a little sticker saying: "solder thermo fuse with special solder, fusing point 120c, Warranty only when seal untouched". So, one can deduce the clock was designed for this thermo fuse to be repaired. I fancy the actual soldering is best left to a radio/electronics type of electrician. I'll seek one out an update, here. So, go to it people. Gotta be cheaper than the £250 being asked on ebay.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post: