View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 00:14   #44
Martin Cox
VOC Member

In response to the comments by aland, I have a 2008 163BHP D5 V70 auto which was bought to replace a 1998 V70 Tdi Auto (Audi engine) after the cambelt failed. I've now repaired the damage caused by the cambelt failure and that car is back on the road again so I'm in a position to make some direct comparisons between the two.

I've lived with the Audi engine in the 1998 V70 for 15 years and have only 8 months experience with the D5. it's been completely trouble free so far but it's still far too early for me to make any sensible comments on reliability

I'd agree that the Audi unit is gruff and noisy and maybe a touch 'agricultural' but we certainly didn't find it underpowered.

in fact our impression of the D5 was of a sweet, smooth and refined but somewhat gutless and thirsty engine by comparison.

Obviously there are many other variables so any comparisons can only be subjective and I'm sure that some of the difference can be attributed to the differences in the automatic transmissions (My preference is for the older unit rather than the Geartronic used with the D5)

To sum up, to get from A to B in comfort I'd take the D5 V70 but if I wanted to enjoy the drive, given the sagging seat, tired suspension and dead aircon, it has to be the 1998 V70!

In my opinion they are both fine engines for their time and I'd find it difficult to choose which I prefer. Mind you, I don't much fancy trying to mend a D5; the D5252t (Audi) was hard enough!
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote