View Single Post
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:17   #20
Daim
Brit in Germany

@ joelmacdonald

Well, there are a few little bits and bobs what the engine CAN do, but they are seldom to never... Really. Though there was one recall regarding the wiring of the fan, but that should be done. Otherwise:

altenator belt tensioner:
The tensioner can start to make noises. Volvo has 3 systems to try.
1. normal belt, spring loaded tensioner
2. normal belt, hydraulic loaded tensioner
3. self tensioning belt, not spring/hydraulic tensioner needed

Version 1. should be standard fitted. From ~2009 it was version 2. If Version 3 is fitted, then 1 and 2 didn't work. So listen for some "clicking" noises on the drivers side.

If you can hear the chain rattle at first start up, don't worry. The engine sounds like it is going to fly to pieces when cold, but when it is warm, you shouldn't here a rattle at all (the older the engine gets, the more it starts to rattle, but it shouldn't be like many VW TSIs with their chain).

The throttle body CAN fail. CAN means that it most likely won't, unlike with the Volvo Magneti Mirelli throttles, but you never know. It is also recommendable to clean the TB every ~2 years. Depending on how much sh*te is stuck behind it, you'll possible be affected by a very lumpy idle, sporadic stalling and when you take it out of gear whilst rolling (coasting), that the idle is erratic. Clean it, should all go. It is rare for that to happen, but it can.

Otherwise the engine is really really really reliable. I not once have had an issue with it. Not once. I had a slight judder at higher rpms (when flooring it) but that was because my fuel pump was on it's way out... About 3 years ago...!

Service for the 2.0l is mere too. As said, a good full synthetic oil, say at least a 5w30. Better an 0w30. I only use that, what Volvo fill in, that is Castrol Edge Professional 0w30. It used to be something else, but Volvo has changed that since.

A recommendation for sparkplug: NGK irridium plugs. Ford has gone so far and replaces all normal Ford plugs with the NGKs. As the engine is a Ford Duratec, it is spot on the same as that what Ford offers. incl. torque, power etc. Airfilter change every 3 years/37.500 miles (what ever comes first) with the sparkplugs.

The timing chain doesn't require ANY maintance for 12 years/150.000 miles (what ever comes first). And even then, it doesn't need to be changed. They check the timing, the chain condition and the valve clearances. All adjusted, and you are fit for another 150.000 miles.

I haven't put any money towards the engine other than servicing. And that since 5 years. I doubt any engine (not even a T5 and that isn't mean negativly) is more reliable...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote