Thread: 240 General: - New 240 suspension/engine advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 18:05   #29
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
That article features a report on the conversion rules in Denmark, which effectively curtail all conversions there because of bureaucratic rules.

I presume there are no such rules in the UK - the converted car simply has to pass the appropriate MOT?

By then all 240s will be MOT-exempt. But does conversion to electricity count as a "fundamental change", on the grounds that electric power was not a standard original option when the car was new?
I think you must be correct about the UK not having the same level of bureaucratic red tape as Denmark. The Vintage Voltage TV programme has converted a number of historic cars to EV, but always glosses over this point.

It does seem that DVLA would be entitled to revoke the EV's historic registration. This would not affect the cost of road tax (EVs being zero rated) but the taxation class would be different, so the EV might need a MoT test every year. I'm not sure DVLA is sophisticated enough to realise any of this though, its workers' only interest seems to be processing as few cases as possible in an attempt to work from their kitchen tables forever (perhaps a far-sighted administration would outsource the DVLA's business to a contractor in Mumbai).

I suspect that in practice all that happens is that the DVLA changes the historic vehicle's fuel to electricity and everything else continues as normal.

Ho hum :-)

Last edited by Othen; Sep 25th, 2021 at 18:06. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: