Thread: General: - C70/Volvo Heater Blowers
View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 13:46   #5
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredGraham View Post
Ok, thanks to Clan & zapcity for the info. but I have been left slightly puzzled. This is due to being a technophobe! Which way is the correct way to work. I ask this as my C70 works differently to zapcity's C70, however he has one car that works the same and 2 that don't. Is it dependant on your model?
Hi Fred,

I've read a few threads on here from others that seem to have similar heating 'issues'.

To clarify, my XC70 from cold will heat the cabin as normal. All vents provide hot air up to set temp.

Once the set cabin temp is reached, the windscreen, top and dash vents then emit cold air (as Clan says this varies on the outside temp.). On most days this air is very, very cold and is emitted at quite a rate (about fan speed 4).

It is enough for anyone unfamiliar to ask why its so cold and draughty in the car, even when set at 23-25. During this time, the footwell vents continue to emit hot air.

Measuring the cabin temp. at the sensor, it matches the set point due to it being nearer the floor and picking up the hot airflow from the floor vent, but the dash top is lower by 2-3 degrees. As the air emitted from the dash top is cold and fast moving, it feels much colder anyway.

I get around this by switching to manual hot air from the dash vents only, increasing the temp. and reducing the fan speed to min. This cuts off the cold air emitting from the top of the dash by creating a hot air barrier.

My XC60 and C70 when reaching the set temp., just emit a very gentle airflow that is similar to the cabin temp., so no noticeable cold airflow.
The Following User Says Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post: