View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 17:09   #7
Tom in France

Thanks to one and all who have posted about my Volvo 240 starting problem post. I was delayed in re-posting as I wanted to get some photos that would better illustrate the problem.
First thing, the radiator failure happened after only driving the car on secondary roads for less than 10 minutes. There was no steam or spraying water, and I think, having replaced the radiator, that the thermostat may not have even been open; the water loss, I believe, was limited to just the radiator. The first photo below shows the failed radiator connector point at the top of the radiator. The second photo is of the lower connection, which was OK.

[IMG]http/www.volvoforums.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=115764&stc=1&d=1537632 264[/IMG]
Thus, I don't think that any of the car's electrics were wet.

I've been trying to find the location of my vehicle's crank position sensor, but I haven't been able to locate it on the crankcase. The car is registered as a 1987, but I've often found, when purchasing parts over the years, that I need to get motor parts for a 1988 240. I would appreciate if anyone can verify whether or not my car should have a sensor, as I have read that this is a problem when the vehicle will not start. I would also like to verify if this car has a 2.0 or 2.3L engine. Is it written somewhere on the engine block?

[IMG]httpwww.volvoforums.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=115765&stc=1&d=1537632 382[/IMG]
My other main suspect is the fuel relay connector.

I replaced the relay when this sad tale began, and the fuel pumps seem to function when the engine cranks, but I find the partially melted fuel pump connector to be suspect. I don't know how, however, to test the 6 contacts where the relay connects to the connector to see if there is a short or problem somewhere.
Does anyone have thoughts about this fuel relay connector or the crank sensor? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corroded radiator connection.JPG (376.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg good radiator connection.JPG (353.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Relay and connector.JPG (225.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel relay connector.JPG (217.6 KB, 15 views)
Tom in France is offline   Reply With Quote