View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2021, 09:47   #16
ingmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I can report a year on that it definitely was the crank position sesnor in my case. The car is still running very well and the engine hasn't cut out again since.

IMHO, if you can afford to, it's worth having a new/good crank position sensor and fuel relay in your spares stock. I recently needed to use my spare fuel relay in another of my 940s.

In my experience, the biggest clue that a mysterious stalling problem is due to the crank position sensor is strange behaviour of the rev counter. Early symptoms were it "sticking" during motorway driving with some loss of power and then suddenly coming back to life again. As the problem got worse and the car started to cut out occasionally, just before a stall the rev counter would drop to zero. This was very hard to spot, because you had to be looking at the dash at just the right time. My reasoning (possibly flawed) was that a fuel related stall would not cut rpm to zero before the engine died.

If you are really stabbing in the dark at a mysterious stalling problem and just throwing exchange parts at it then the fuel relay behind the ash tray is a bit easier to replace than the crank position sensor. But there are other parts (per the FAQ) that could be the culprit.
Brilliant posts that encouraged me - a mechanical ignoramus - to have a go and to replace the crank sensor myself. Delighted to learn the cure proved long lasting, too. I used after market Cambiare VE363003.

Last edited by ingmar; May 12th, 2021 at 10:41.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ingmar For This Useful Post: