View Single Post
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 17:50   #6
tommyweaves
Premier Member

In my opinion/experience, the P3 V70 is quite sensitive to tyres. I had a full set of Champiro tyres which were excellent for grip but made the car drift left. I had everything checked out, by Volvo, including 4 wheel alignment, new trailing arm bushes etc, but no change. This was all under warranty when the car was only couple of years old and as I've owned it from new I knew it had never been bashed or mis-treated.

It all came good when it came to replacing the tyres. Nokians ever since and it's been straight as a die.

I think the critical aspect is the tyre wall. With softer walls the car has no or little tendency to tramline. Harder/stiffer wall tyres are less forgiving.

I've concluded that cheaper tyres are more prone to inconsistencies in the tyre walls, maybe resulting in the wall on one side of a tyre being stiffer than the other, meaning the tyre sags slightly on one side. I feel this is enough to make a P3 V70 drift.

However, whether I'm right or wrong, I would always recommend quality tyres with all 4 corners matching.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote