View Single Post
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 23:26   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I have a 2012 XC90 approaching 100k that has had a fluid change at 70k.

I wish to change the oil and filter both of which were not expensive at around £50 from Volvo.

I think the issue is getting the prop shaft off and removing the assembly etc.

Having changed the cambelt, water pump etc myself the idea of doing the haldex unit looks complex to me.....
I accept my experience is with P2 V70 2004 AWD, and not later model Haldex. However, my reading and take on the Haldex "service" is that the more modern the vehicle, and therefore the Haldex unit , the easier the service is - specifically changing the filter. The issue is to get the seized torx? bolts out of the filter. On my car you need to reduce the length of your torx bit and use 1/4" sockets to make enough room to withdraw the bolts and this way although fiddly, the prop shaft remains in place. You also need to reuse the original filter cover, as the new filter cover is a different design and cannot be installed when the shaft remains.
Oil replacement again on mine was very simple via a single access point, sucked out with a "mitty" or similar or just a long thin plastic pipe.
NB blow through the pipe before withdrawing the old oil to disturb as much sediment in the haldex unit as possible.
After refilling ( I used a meter+ long pipe and filled via a funnel at the NS door) to the level of the hole I withdrew 100ml as I had read about issues if you did not.

If you have done a cambelt change you can do this. I started but failed due to seized filter bolts, and a cambelt change scares me.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: