View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 18:54   #3
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc41 View Post
I'm getting close to ordering an XC60, and would appreciate some non-salesman input on whether some of the options are worth the money ....

(1) SatNav (or, to be more precise, RTI Navigation System with RDS-TMC and Europe DVD map). I already have a basic TomTom, so the questions are, how does it compare in ease of use and does the "live traffic information" work sufficiently well to justify the cost? And does the live traffic information work in Europe? And do I need to pay any sort of subscription fee - for either the live information or updated maps? And lastly, if I don't get it, do they still fit the screen anyway?

(2) The PCC/Heartbeat sensor, keyless drive?

(3) Adaptive cruise control/Blind spot information system/lane departure warning.

I like the car a lot and enjoyed the test drive. My long-term love of heated, power-adjusted, leather seats and parking assistance means that I'll probably go for the SE Lux version. But is the new-fangled gadgetry worth the cash, or is it a set of electronics that will either go wrong (and cost a fortune to replace) or that I'll find too fiddly and difficult to use?

All input welcome!
I've just got an SE Lux as I wanted the leather, electric and heated seats etc. - it worked out cheaper than an S or SE and then adding on what I want. Plus I got loads of other stuff in the SE Lux package as well. Personally I don't see the point of getting an XC60 without the driver support pack as the XC60 is all about gadgetry and electronic safety which is what the pack contains. I am wondering if when it comes to resale people will expect this pack on the car as well - although it was an easier choice for me as it was only £399 as an early order offer. I have yet to try the ACC but am looking forward to trying and the blind spot warning is useful(-ish), not so sure about LDW but without these you don't get the driver monitoring (can't remember the name - thing that tells you when you are driving badly and need to take a break) which I think is good.

I couldn't see the point of the heartbeat sensor and keyless drive myself and don't think it would have added anything to my car.

I have also carried on using my TomTom, car sat navs see crazily overpriced to me and I read somewhere the volvo one isn't that great. Plus harder to upgrade etc... The only thing you lose is the flashy screen in the dash but you get a small storage space instead. I worried it would look a bit rubbish without the screen but it looks fine.

Other cool stuff, sun roof is v. good. Running boards look good and mean people that open their doors into your car hit them first and not the car! (happened on day one - was v. pleased I had the boards). I got laminated glass for security and the water repellent side windows work a treat! Rubber boot mat is good when you have kids - and the family pack is essential for children. Rear armrest is very cool - has cup holders and tray and is leather lined. I would say front park assist is also worth the extra as it is so hard to judge where the front of the car actually is!

We kept finding the types to be under pressure in our old car so went for TPMS - hopefully it will pay for itself in time.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60Owner For This Useful Post: