View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:40   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

cc41,
I have the Sat Nav system in my XC90.
I upgraded to the latest 3-disc version two years ago - and I find it almost useless.
I have complained to Volvo and provided examples of stupid directions which the Sat Nav churns out, but Volvo simply said "our engineers have been unable to reproduce the fault".
One example - on a journey from Birmingham to Cornwall - whilst travelling down the M5 the Sat Nav directed me to go onto the M50 into Wales, and for 12 miles along the M5 it insisted I do a U-turn, even after I passed another couple of junctions. Only then did it decide to allow me to continue using the M5 to Cornwall.
Another example - For a laugh I decided to follow the Sat Nav directions from the West side of Nottingham to a location in Lincolnshire, and it took me around Nottingham city centre, getting lost, directing me up one-way streets or blocked roads - not new ones either. As I know the area I opted for the ring-road of course.
I also travel to Dorset often, and the previous single-disc version followed a route which did not use the M25 - however the newer version cannot avoid using the M25 (unless you set it to avoid all motorways) - I tried it once just to check if it knew something I didn't - and the journey took 2 hours longer than normal. Volvo's response was that I should plan the route in several stages, avoiding the M25 manually.
I pity anyone having to use the system who doesn't already have a clue as to the route anyway.

I have to say I used the Sat Nav in Europe last year though, and it seemed to be okay there.

Based on my experience I would suggest staying with your Tom Tom.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote