Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 14:39   #3150
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Essentially, this one is now in time where the RB was when you bought it, Alan. It strikes me as being a fitting subject for your future affections.

The 2.3 auto is in my view the best combination of engine and 'box. I agree with '360beast'; I do not think think that you would like the 2.0*. They will go, but you have to work them damned hard in contrast to the lazy low-down power of the bigger engine. Because of this, they are no more economical on fuel than the larger car when driven 'like for like.

We have had many 7 series cars over the years, several of which have covered lunar mileages. They are generally more corrosion resistant than earlier models, but they do rust - that spelt the end for my long term ownership 745 at 29 years. Linda's LTO 744 was also plagued with electrical gremlins at around 25 years and 250 thousand miles. Knowing you, I have a strong feeling that you could very probably have easily resolved those issues, whereas we could not.

With this one you could even make a few bob on the side (you would of course first need a chauffeurs' cap to join your existing headgear on the hat shelf), but the project could thus become self-financing!

Seriously, thank you for sharing your adventures with the RB. Whatever you decide, I look forward to vicariously following your next project with both pleasure and genuine interest.

Regards, John.

Edit / PS: *The 2.0 was introduced as a concession to Italy's (IIRC) draconian tax laws which strongly favoured sub two litre cars (or heavily penalised those with larger engines, if you prefer)! J.
That limousine is really interesting John: completely impractical, but that hardly matters for a fourth motor car (or sixth motor vehicle). It will not sell quickly because:
a. Almost no one needs a 32 year old limousine.

b. It is a bit overpriced.

c. It is in Northern Ireland.
I may watch it, and if it doesn't sell by the winter buy it for £1250.

:-)