View Single Post
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 18:56   #363
Army
marches on his stomach

Default More painting today

I was planning to spray the inside of the rear wing in epoxy but decided against it at the last minute because of this =>

I get feeling that many people think that once you've wire brushed down to these little black spots all is good.

I disagree - use a grinding disc to lightly remove the black wire brushed parts to see the true rust colour underneath come through =>

In this situation the pitting of the rust can not be reached by mechanical means with out grinding away loads of the good metal around.

Although I'd prefer to have all traces of rust removed before painting I think the best thing you can do is to apply some form of rust beating paint. The rust will still be there but with a bit of chemical help it should be slowed to an almost stop for a while.

Instead of using the epoxy I went for Eastwood's rust encapsulator.

Tomorrow I'll be putting seam sealant around the newly added inner wheel arch brackets and then the day after I'll be using the Ferpox single component epoxy for a bit of extra protection.

######

I also got a bit of colour sprayed on the inside of the boot lid. This is the base coat =>

I also got two coats of the high gloss anti-scratch clear coat sprayed on top of the base coat. This wasn't done with out some dust related problems (the workshop is not an ideal paint spraying place at the moment) which I'll be showing how to make good later on in the thread...

(To be continued)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote