View Single Post
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 19:28   #7
r2gow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ42 View Post
I am new to this forum and I've joined with the sole purpose of finding others who have experienced the issue I've outlined below.

I bought a new Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 in September 2018 and initially I was very pleased with it, having had a standard V40 before it without much issue.
However, soon after buying it I found it was cutting out intermittently when stopping at junctions. Not just stopping with the start/stop function, but the engine completely turning off. Causing me to look down and press the start/stop button to restart, which is a danger as I have to take my eyes off the road whilst potentially moving forward into the path of oncoming traffic with a ‘dead’ car.

I’ve taken the car into the dealer a number of times and they have not found any issues, mainly because when they plug it in no error codes appear to tell them what went wrong. Instead they are telling me it’s a ‘feature’ of the newish 2.0 engine, which is designed to cut out if the driver stops the car in a high gear. Volvo have apparently designed it this way to protect against potential damage to the flywheel. Even though I find it incredulous that any car could be designed this way, I can’t see why it should be programmed to completely cut out the engine. If the engine needs to be stopped in this type of situation, why can’t the normal start/stop action be employed. This would enable the engine to be restarted by depressing the clutch and not endanger all concerned by forcing the driver to divert his attention from the road at a critical moment to restart the car.

I believe this is a design issue and a potential safety hazard, which goes against all that Volvo stands for, but I need to find others that have experienced a similar issue. Otherwise I'm just a lone voice without any power to force Volvo to fix the problem.

Please reply with your related stories concerning this issue. Thank you.

Cheers
hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful
r2gow is offline   Reply With Quote