View Single Post
Old Jul 8th, 2015, 00:18   #2
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
As most disabled people will already know, Motability is a Charity, set up by Government
Set up by Government and pretty much in the main funded by the DWP, from Tax, from the Government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
Having the use of a reliable motor vehicle is a lifeline to many disabled people & their carers/ families, so 'well done Volvo' & thank you.
This will probably offend, so I'll just say it like I see it. Luxury cars - XC60 SE Lux for example, shouldn't even be appearing on the list IMHO.

Why? The DWP funded £18M last year to the charitable income tune of £3M. I'm rounding up.

It cost an additional £9M to adminster this process, of which £1M was stumped up by the DWP. The rest came from manufacturers I presume, the annual reports are a bit wooly on this point.

Now I am not wholly against the concept of Motability, far from it.

I am however, against the extravagance of the system.

Why?

My next door neighbour is currently totling about in a brand new Tiguan. And yes, I do know how DLA works... he's managed to get the higher rate DLA assessment because he has nightmares. All well and good, the walking stick he uses sees day light Monday to Friday 8-5... beyond that... staggering home from the pub late on, he appears to be miraculously cured... and he's not the only one!

I once got moaned at for being unsympathetic on this forum because someone on Motability needed a certain type of car to tow their new caravan and it was no longer available. If you can afford a new caravan, why is the State funding a car?

Now I appreciate that my view point may be skewed slightly due to these "experiences"... however, they are not isolated and the fact remains. Mobility is an abused system with decadence to boot. If a Tiguan was so necessary, why isn't a Ford Ka? (designed from the outset for folks with impaired mobility by Ford) If the higher seat is required, what's wrong with a Peugeot Bipper?

The facts herein are in the Motability annual reports... here
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky Diver For This Useful Post: