Thread: XC70: Electrical - Climate Control Issue
View Single Post
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 17:15   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I get this sometimes as well.

It isn't stated in the manual but with my old 2001 V40 it stated that the dash air vents always take a feed from the outside. If you look in the owners manual, pg 129 it shows that when you manually choose the direction of air flow, if the dashboard air vents aren't selected, it states "Some air flows from the dashboard air vents." I believe this refers to the same airflow from outside that older models had. If you manually select the dashboard air vents, then the air coming out warms up.

My personal opinion, based on using the auto mode of climate control is that you get in the cold car and get warmer as it warms, generally by using the windscreen and dashboard air vents, possibly the floor vents as well. Once the car reaches the required temperature it moves the air from the dashboard air vents to the floor vents to maintain a comfortable temperature. This allows air drawn in from outside to pass through the dashboard vents. Depending on where these vents are directed, the draft makes you feel cold even though the car is maintaining a set temperature.

There is a warning in the manual about the B-Pillar vents and small children being sensitive to air flows or draughts. Perhaps you also are quite sensitive to them or you have the vents aimed differently because generally I can drive for up to 2 hours before getting this sensation.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post: