Thread: 240 General: - How to buy your basic tool kit
View Single Post
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 17:40   #22
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Interesting the thoughts on ratchets - the silver one in the photo is a Snap On look alike - bought from the market for under a tenner. First thing was to open it up and fill with grease - there was none in it. Since then it has been in daily use by son Matt and subject to having extension pipe put on the handle (a big no no) and used as a hammer. Still going strong! I have quite a lot of fairly cheap spanners that get used a lot of the time. I also have the back up of some good quality ones but these are reserved for any job where it looks like there is a problem to get it undone. One way or another a certain number of my spanners regularly go missing and I can't afford to loose good quality ones. I started off with relatively cheap ones from the market stall which I still use and built upper with better quality tools where the need arose. I feel that for basic maintenance it is not necessary to spend a lot on tools - I would regard Halford Professional as the goal for the best quality you would need but quite happy to work with something a lot cheaper initially especially if only intending do some of the more basic servicing and maintenance.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions - very useful!

Mike