Thread: 240 General: - 240 Seats are very comfy
View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:38   #4
classicracing

I recall meeting the Volvo Seat designer once in Torslander plant, we were reviewing the rationalisation of 240 when volumes of sales worldwide were falling and the model range was being reduced, must have been about 90-91.
Well I have a long term back problem and I thanked him for the comfort of the seat.
I used to set the seat up after a visit to the chiropractor or Alexander practitioner and then use it as a reference as to how I should sit as my body slowly sagged between treatments. I still do the same thing.
He stated that the 240 seat was the best european seat there was in the car industry and had recieved a number of awards.
He also stated that the 740 seat was overall a good shape but had had to be widened to fit fit the average American 'butt' which at that time was significantly bigger than the average European and particularly the average Scandinavian ( ever seen a fat Swede, Eric Carlsson excluded of course)
So the 740 940 series seat is too wide for us and gives less lateral support
As an owner of both 940 and 240 I concurr, even though my butt is getting larger as time goes by
This Swede was a qualified Doctor I recall or something similar so his ergonomic designs were based on the human frame and not made for the Looks
Final point he stated that leather gave a more structured support to the human body the resiliance of the material was integral in the design, the foam insert had to be different for the cloth seats and so the design was slightly compromised.
I'm still looking for some tan leather seats for my SE, anyone know where I can get a set?
Richard
classicracing is offline   Reply With Quote