View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 23:06   #15
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Hello there,

The original list is certainly comprehensive. A couple of other little oddities come to mind. It would appear that a strange misalignment between the nearside sill and front wing where they meet is a 'standard feature', at least it is on all 3 that I own!

I recently found out the hard way that the mount for the rear exhaust box rubber is quite a flimsy affair, welded to the chassis. Mine rusted out where it meets the chassis, and it was a real pig of a job to fix. According to my exhaust man, it's common on a lot of cars, but probably worth checking.

With the back seat(s) dropped forward the 440 has some serious carrying capacity. My personal record is 17 large bags of rubbish and a fridge!

I've never had a phase II 440 where the back lights have worked properly. They're not as bad as VW's (where a functioning nearside tail light is an extra cost option?!) but they're ropey nonetheless. My fuel guage has never worked since the day I bought my daily runner in 2001.

Renault engine in same (1.8) is fantastic. Up to nearly 160k. at this stage, more than half of it under my ownership. An agricultural drive, old fashioned bucket seat Cortina feel, a bit of distant Citroen Dyane relative on hard cornering, but the damned things are unbreakable! I'll never own another car as good as the one I drive

Based on my experiences with the regular car mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I have 3 series II 440's and a series 1 460GLE ... never a major problem with any of them, only alternators and cables.

Regards,

Tony.