View Single Post
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 08:57   #7
voivoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
My mistake, I'm not a trained diesel expert, I thought that was the stop solenoid. The only other electrical connection I can think of is the Throttle Position Sensor on top of the pump so if you follow the harness it should take you to the stop solenoid.

You may have stumbled onto something...have you tried to actuate that advance solenoid when you had it out on the bench?
I think there are some thin wires going under the pump. I'll take a look at those with a mirror or something.

Yeah, I gave the solenoid some power on the bench and it made a click. But it wasn't quite as I expected. Like it might have been sticking. And there was a tiny amount of fuel under the rubber cap like the body was leaking.

Does it work just ON/OFF? I'll test it more, when I get those appropriate o-rings.

But I think something happened already after I put those new o-rings. Haven't driven much after that, but I think it starts and runs better. The problem with the occasional lack of power at low RPM still persists. After what I've read, these could all be symptoms of a bad advance solenoid.

Quote:
When you say occasionally...on starting from cold or when up to normal operating temp? If from a cold start it would point to bad glow plugs and if from warm engine it might be slightly advanced/over fuelling.
I'd say it's been doing it warm and cold, starting and driving. Just randomly. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds, sometimes a minute. But maybe it happens most often, when stopping to traffic lights and such.

Quote:
These don't typically burn oil but being a Renault unit they do tend to push out oil everywhere else
Confirmed.
voivoi is offline   Reply With Quote