View Single Post
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 13:24   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
I think there are some thin wires going under the pump. I'll take a look at those with a mirror or something.
If the engine dies immediately when you turn off the key the stop solenoid is working fine. I was originally thinking that if you had corrosion in the wiring loom that it may have been receiving a poor signal from the ignition.

Quote:
Yeah, I gave the solenoid some power on the bench and it made a click. But it wasn't quite as I expected. Like it might have been sticking. And there was a tiny amount of fuel under the rubber cap like the body was leaking.

Does it work just ON/OFF? I'll test it more, when I get those appropriate o-rings.
I imagine the fuel under the rubber cap has seeped past those o-rings you replaced and collected over time. It may even be getting past the plunger and escaping through windings.

Not sure how much travel you should see/hear on the solenoid but like all these things it should be of a clean action...if you know what I mean

Quote:
But I think something happened already after I put those new o-rings. Haven't driven much after that, but I think it starts and runs better. The problem with the occasional lack of power at low RPM still persists. After what I've read, these could all be symptoms of a bad advance solenoid.

I'd say it's been doing it warm and cold, starting and driving. Just randomly. Sometimes it lasts a few seconds, sometimes a minute. But maybe it happens most often, when stopping to traffic lights and such.
Interestingly, your symptoms sound very similar to those written about in this UKDieselParts blog.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote