View Single Post
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 16:25   #12
v50inred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
I never said Castrol Edge... -

It only states 0W-30 A5/B5 and somewhere about Castrol, but that was not part of my post read the information provided not what you want to read.

Ever considered the fact that Mobil might/do not have a 0W-30 with A5/B5 specification?

Which they actually do...leading me to an interesting point. The oil recommended by their system is actually wrong if based on specification.Fact.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LC...omy-0w30.aspx#

This meets A5/B5 and 0W-30 - but has a higher SAP that you keep going on about than Edge! Whether you like it or not 5W-30 is the wrong specification oil for a 5 cylinder Volvo diesel engine D3/D4/D5.

And to add a sense of irony to your statement your original input featured this: -

Yet somehow you are now recommending a 5W-30 oil for a car that should be running on 0W-30?

You still don't get it do you.

You blindly recommend Castrol 0w30 A5/B5, which as far as I can tell is Edge.

Might point is there are other oils other than your holy grail of oil.

Which actually isn't much thinner than Mobil Super 3000 at low temps.

Since the Mobil is relatively thin for a 5w30.

There are two points here.

Your kind locality to 0w30 as if it is some form or super brew and the fact that there are other oils that more than meet the needed specs.

Part of the reason for the 0w30 is likely to be emissions related, perhaps slightly improved warm up?

My decision to buy a more expensive oil if I had a '12 car is confusing to you?

Why is that, seems logical enough.

But the Mobil oil also meets the new Ford "C" spec so it is certainly not a rubbish oil.

If you feel the need to pay £10 a litre for oil that is fine.

But don't try and shout down people that don't agree.

Especially if you know less about oil than you think you do.

After all, you seem to know more than Mobil.

If Volvo are happy to run an oil with saps of 1.12 in a Dpf equipped vehicle then that is their opinion and if the car is under warranty they will potentially be fixing any issues.

My position is to go for a lower saps, 0.8 is as low as a quality C3 oil, but I believe you can't have a C3 oil with reduced HTHS hence why Mobil Super is not a C3 oil.

Both oils will certainly be perfectly acceptable for the engine.

But one is nearly half the price of the other.

Meaning I can change oil and filter more often for the same money.

I wouldn't run any diesel car as long as 10/12k without Used Oil Analysis on a Dpf equipped vehicle or one used for significant amount of urban or stop start.

You are welcome to your opinion.

I am entitled to mine.
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote