View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 14:14   #37
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf117 View Post
So, got the car back Monday afternoon - bill was almost £1300, which I was told amounted to all the parts and labour having being at "cost price"...
....then had to wait for an hour, as when I went to unlock it, I discovered my 'main' key - they'd had the spare - wouldn't work, which was, of course, due to the new module meaning it was no longer coded to the car...
....noticed while they were doing the software download to sort that out, that they had the car hooked up to a charger unit, and when they drove the car back around, they left it running as the battery charge was "very low"...
....30+ minute drive back with a petrol stop a mile from home, then used it yesterday for a two-stop parcel run, so it was started three times within half-an-hour on a five-mile round trip...
....went to open it at mid-day today - nothing. Totally and utterly dead. Phoned dealer, they're suggesting the battery - original, so 10+ years old - has given up, possibly after the 'strain' of three software uploads whilst with them. Say if I can get it to them, they will fit a new one, at just its cost (£93), fitted free...
I'm very sorry to hear this. And to tell you, you are being taken advantage of. The battery may well be your shout to pay for but £93 is RETAIL not cost. garage are having a laugh. I could buy a battery direct from volvo today, will be between £75 and £100 depending on the version. It's max 10 mins to swap batter, probs closer to 5, even having to remove strut brace.

You will do what you think is best, but Im pretty sure at least half of that £1300 is you paying for the garages mistake.

I hope you have some luck resolving this... Also, the garage had the battery charging as it clearly failed on them. They could have done a load test and told you upfront it needed changing, but instead they sent you away... Am apalled at what you have experienced, and amazed at how calm and accepting you are about it. You are a better man than I.

I'm not asking you to name and shame, but can you tell me what part of the country this volvo dealer was in? Want to ensure I never go there

Last edited by lockstock; Feb 26th, 2020 at 14:16.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote